Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Old Wives' Tales

I've never been one to believe in old wives' tales.  I actually jump in a pool quite regularly in the summer right after eating, and I also lather up the sunscreen just minutes before I jump in.  I have never had a debilitating stomach cramp in the pool, nor have I ever had a blistering sunburn.  But there is one tale that I am beginning to subscribe to - the one that says that worrying causes gray hair. 

On my 33rd birthday, Marc and I examined the right side of my scalp.  We examined my two gray hairs, and I giggled at the notion of how debonair I must look.  After almost a week at camp, the grayness is multiplying.  It may be time to invest in some dye. 

I consider myself a pretty easygoing parent.  I don't freak out when Maizy falls, I let her play in dirt as much as she wants, and I've been known to let her have animal crackers for breakfast. (She's not even big enough to be on the doctor's weight chart; she can use the extra calories!)  Still, the atmosphere here has caused me a lot of anxiety.  Today was extremely hot.  The heat index was 109, and while I'm not exactly sure what that means, I think it must be dangerous!  I put about an inch-thick layer of sunscreen on Maizy just to walk to breakfast this morning, and I pretty much refused to have her outside at all today.  The problem, of course, is that the air conditioner still is not fixed.  It is better; someone definitely did something to it today, but I'm still loving my cold showers at the end of the day!  So, knowing that Maizy and I needed to stay inside all day, I had to be creative.  My sister just read the novel Room, and as we were discussing it, she told me I could pretend to be like that mother and just make up games with what we had in our room.  I tried it today.  I mixed in a lot of pretend games with a lot of reading practice, and let's just say that Maizy will have an incredible imagination and lexical level by the time she's two! 

Another cause for worry is Maizy's eating habits.  She's still not eating very well here.  We did stock up at Walmart on some of her favorite staples, but she's not trying any of the food in the dining hall.  She may nibble here and there (we had a pretty hilarious encounter with a chick-pea at dinner), but she's more than happy just to run around instead of eating.  Because of my size, her eating habits have always been of probably more than average concern to me.   I want her to be healthy and active, and it's definitely a cause of anxiety that she's so active but not filling herself up.  I'll keep you updated when I do her monthly weight-check! 

Marc is still working 12-15 hour days, but he has been making an effort to come by and hang out with us when he can, so I've been appreciative.  It's nice when you get to see your husband, I think.  However, I am writing this at 10:48 p.m. as he's at a meeting, so it's still a bit frustrating at times, and I'm anxious for Big Brother to start on TV so I have more to think about during my waiting times instead of wondering if Nonnie on Bubble Guppies might have some kind of developmental disorder.  (I got certified in special ed.; I may as well do something with it.)

'Til next time - xoxo

Marcy

1 comment:

  1. You must convince her to embrace chick peas!! Life, not to mention salad is NOTHING without them

    ReplyDelete