Let me make one thing clear: We are by no means "roughing it." However, if you know me, you know that I am definitely an indoor girl. I mean, I have been going to the gym a lot recently, but exercise and I still are not friends by a long shot. I knew going into this summer job that there would be a lot of walking involved and a lot of outside involved. Marc was very eager to take on a leadership position and build up his resume, though, so I took one for the team and agreed to spend my summer here, in Waynesboro, PA. **If you are a burglar and reading this: first, good sleuthing to find my blog, and second, someone is housesitting, so find yourself another target.**
The drive up was very nice. We took two cars, and it only took an hour and a half. The camp is located right along the Appalachian Trail, and the roads were clear the whole way. We arrived around 3:00 and were directed to our rooms. Marc and I share a room; there is a door inside leading to a bathroom and another door from the bathroom leading to Maizy's room. One of our stipulations for taking this job was that Maizy would be in a separate room. I knew that the walking and the outside would be good for me; I knew that a summer not being able to watch my TV shows for fear of waking up Maizy would actually be a detriment to me.
Our room is very much like a dorm room at college. It has three twin beds, one dresser, and one closet. The bathroom has a tub/shower combo, and the water pressure is excellent. We brought Maizy's pack and play, as she's still in her crib at home. We are both worried that at some point this summer, she will learn to climb out, but so far she will just scream "OUT" or "UP," so we're okay for now.
If you've had a little girl, you know that baby clothes are incredibly cute. There supposedly will be a laundry pickup once a week, but I spent the whole year buying cute summer clothes for Maizy, and it was not fun to limit myself to only using one suitcase for her summer wardrobe. Still, Maizy is tiny, and therefore has tiny clothes, so I managed to squeeze in probably enough clothes for the next six months without repeating. Does joking translate on my blogspot? I was joking, but only a little. Come on, 18 month bathing suits? Have you seen the adorableness? I brought maybe seventeen.
My point, if I remember it, is that I filled the dresser in Maizy's room with just her clothes, leaving one dresser for Marc and me to share. Luckily, we brought lots of hangers, so we just hung up most of our clothes and were able to condense the dresser items that way.
We took one trip to Walmart (the happening spot in Waynesboro, 2 miles down the road and the size of a football field) to buy some plastic drawers for our bathroom items, but I'm guessing lots more trips will be in our future as we figure out how to organize the rest of our stuff (though leaving it piled on the extra bed doesn't bother me much).
There is a playground literally ten steps from our door. No swings, but Maizy loves the slides and tunnel just as much. We went to the dining hall at 6:30 for dinner. Six-thirty is normally Maizy's bedtime, so at that point, she was a bit wild. She ran from one end of the hall to the other over and over counting all of the tables she passed and stopping to admire the "BIG FAN!" on the ceiling. After dinner, when we coaxed her back to the room (I'm pretty sure she thought we were going home, so she was not a happy camper when we brought her back), we gave her a bath and put her in her pack and play with her lovie and blankets from home. She screamed for a few minutes, but she fell asleep fairly quickly.
I do need to mention that while our rooms do supposedly have air conditioning, it is broken. I don't like this one bit. The system is supposed to be fixed tomorrow, and I am optimistic that it will be because it is HOT here. We will sleep with the windows open and hope for the best.
Marc is a computer wizard and has allowed us to watch TV on the computer, so we're going to watch the season finale of Homeland before bed. Look, it's no Glass House, but it's an enjoyable series. I will take pictures tomorrow and post them if we have air conditioning. If I don't post them, it's because I accidentally melted.
xoxo,
Marcy
Marcy, I love it. Please post often! I laughed outloud.
ReplyDeleteSSS
I loved it too and I just read it to grandma!
ReplyDeleteLove it! Can I visit??
ReplyDeleteHow do I comment? Loved it. Keep them up! And let's hear about the kids and other people around...
DeleteYou're more of a trooper than I am. My idea of camping is falling asleep on my couch! Have a great summer.
ReplyDelete